Yogi government rolls out ‘land pooling’ model for housing

0
Virendra Singh Rawat
Lucknow / Feb 25, 2019
To tide over land acquisition woes and create land bank for real estate projects, the Yogi Adityanath government has implemented land pooling model in Uttar Pradesh.
In first phase, this unique model of aggregating land will be rolled out by 8 development authorities of Lucknow, Gorakhpur, Kanpur, Meerut, Ghaziabad, Prayagraj (Allahabad), Varanasi and Hapur.
Earlier, the model has been successfully adopted in states such as Gujarat and Maharashtra for creating urban infrastructure, including housing and overcoming land acquisition challenges.
Recently, the Yogi cabinet had approved the proposal to implement land pooling on a pilot basis, while the state housing department had also issued the necessary guidelines.
Now, these development authorities would be able to acquire land up to 25 acres from land owners on the basis of mutual agreement. However, 80% of original land owners must concede to land pooling. The remaining 20% land owners could then be brought on board with the promise of returning them 25% of their redeveloped land for free.
The state decided to adopt this model owing to land bank crunch for providing housing to people in the face of rapid urbanisation and migration to main urban centres. Besides, this would check rampant and unplanned urban development by local developers.

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.